When it comes to finding delicious holiday recipes for sides dishes, it’s easy to run out of ideas. In my family, we try to create flavorful yet healthy options to go with the sometimes, decadent meals we eat this time of year.
Instead of using rice or pasta, I’m using quinoa, which doesn’t fill you up as much. Plus, it is filled with wonderful protein that is always good for you. Starting with Mezzetta’s Kalamata Olives, I began adding ingredients to the quinoa that offered different textures, tastes and colors to make the dish so visually appealing that you will want a big serving. This way, you may not be as apt to eat that whole pumpkin pie yourself!
This easy recipe is really based on your favorite ingredients (or what you have available in your house). One of my favorite ways to eat vegetables is to roast them. To me, it just brings out the sweetness in them that is delicious by itself or mixed in dishes. And I love the salty taste of olives eaten alone or in so many recipes. It adds a luxurious flavor to the meal. I also like that this can become a main course for anyone who is a vegetarian.
If you are not familiar with the Mezzetta brand, I think it is great to know, especially this time of year, that the company has been family owned since 1935. There are four generations of the Mezzetta family involved in the business that sources fresh produce from the sun-drenched soils of California, Italy, Spain, France and Greece preparing them according to their Italian family recipes.
What are your favorite holiday recipes? Mezzetta is hosting The Holiday Memories Sweepstakes where you have a good chance of winning any of these awesome prizes just for sharing your holiday memories. Make sure to enter before December 31 though.
- Grand Prize (1) – Instant Print Digital Camera plus a Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card.
- Runner Up Prizes (10) – Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card.
I discovered a wide range of Mezzetta recipes on their website that include appetizers, salads, side dishes and main dishes using their products. Have you tried their Jalapeno Stuffed Olives? Wouldn’t that make for a nice addition to a charcuterie or cheese platter? Add a glass of wine and the party has started!
Thanks for stopping by!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 2 cups Mezzetta Kalamata Olives, cut in half
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring stock and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer till liquid is all absorbed.
- Toss broccoli and red peppers in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 425 degrees for 20-30 minutes. (if peppers take longer, remove broccoli from oven once browned).
- In big bowl, mix quinoa, vegetables, shallots, and olives together. Slowly add dressing till absorbed. You may not need all the dressing.
- Top with pine nuts and chives.
- Serve warm or cold.
- This would be delicious with garbanzo beans as well.