Have you ever wondered what the difference is between Parmesan and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese? I decided to do some research to better understand this storied and delicious cheese.
There are a number of characteristics that define Parmigiano Reggiano:
- The only Parmesan – it means of/from Parma, Italy.
- It is lactose free.
- There are only a little more than 300 producers.
- Rich in high quality, easily digestible proteins.
- There are 900 years of tradition.
- There are only three ingredients: raw cow’s milk, rennet, sea salt.
- It has a PDO or Protected Designation of Origin.
The naming aspect makes total sense when you consider the history of this cheese.… Read more