This contemporary version of a Caprese salad is made with Stella Fresh Mozzarella, mangos, watermelon, basil and balsamic vinegar and is a perfect appetizer for when guests drop by unexpectedly.
One of my favorite things to make when entertaining is appetizers. I love the creativity in mixing flavors, colors, sizes and texture to arrive at a unique combination that everyone enjoys. Today, I am sharing a well-loved and traditional recipe using Italian style cheese that I have updated to include fruit. In every Caprese salad, using only the highest quality, fresh mozzarella cheese will have the best outcome. For me, that means using Stella Fresh Mozzarella cheese to create a contemporary version of a Caprese salad only in appetizer form.
Combining flavors that are sweet, tart and creamy is the goal. To design an appetizer that looks beautiful on a plate and is easy for guests to eat is also important. No fork and knife needed in this recipe. If you are not familiar with the Stella cheese brand, it dates back to 1923 where old world craftsmanship made a difference. It still does today, with all Stella cheeses from shredded to crumbled and sharp to sweet. The new Stella Fresh Mozzarella offers a clean flavor and soft, delicate texture just like what you would imagine when made in the Italian countryside.
Making this recipe is quick and easy which is why I keep the ingredients on hand for that unexpected knock on the door. I have also made this for cocktail parties using seasonal fruit and fresh basil as well. Now it is your turn to make this dish with your favorite fruits.
- 1 Stella Fresh Mozzarella log, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds or to fit on watermelon cubes
- 1-2 mangos, cut into cubes
- 1/4 small watermelon, cut into cubes and seeded
- 3-5 basil leaves, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Warm balsamic vinegar in saucepan over low heat. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced to thick syrup consistency. Remove from burner and let cool.
- Skewer fruit with watermelon, fresh mozzarella, basil and then mango cube.
- Drizzle balsamic over the top of mango.
- Put in refrigerator to chill.
- Use your favorite fruits for this dish.